Tuesday, December 21, 2010

FMT 3 - Hultgren aka "the silver fox"

Upfront - I don't know if he does it intentionally or not, but he'll try to throw you off your game a little in the breif asking random questions about fan speed, airspace floor and boundaries, etc. For example, on our line up cards, he'll ask about the difference between fan and min fan speeds and which one you take the abort fan low speed (3% low). I went min fan today and he said no you take it off the other, but both Gabrys and Deacon said to take it off the min fan, so take that for what its worth.
Also, I was sitting down out front of the vault waiting and he walked up and sat next to me and looked quizically and said you have an FMT today? I said yes sir. He said with who. I said you sir. He said oh and we sat there for 2 solid minutes not saying a word. Then he asked well do you want to do it today? I said yes sir. He said well we better get in there huh? I said yes sir. He said ok let's go.

Breif - other than random fan speed questions and MOA questions (if you don't know the answer there's some good MOA stuff in the IFG pg 2-1). He responds to every question that you answer with "you sure?" or really? and I found basically just wants you to be firm in your answer if you are confident its correct.

Profile - Kinda close to the stud guide with the following exceptions
1.) you won't fly the entire chochise departure, you'll get about 15 miles into it get an APU fire and turn back around to the field while accomplishing the BF
3.) While flying around Northern Tucson in the OUTLAW/JACKAL MOA's he failed my EGI and asked where I was... I said well the 330 for 60 someodd miles of DMA TACAN. He said that's where you are huh? I said yes sir. He then failed my DME and asked where I was. I noticed I was no longer on the 330 radial so he must have moved me, and so i noticed i was on the 350 now and then dailed up the IWA TACAN and saw i was off the 117 radial so I said, whereever the DMA 350 and IWA 117 radials intersect. He seemed amused and we pressed... still confused myself.
2.) the ILS to KTUS, you will fly the entire approach with one turn in holding at the last minute. It'll go something like this... "Turn right heading 150, descend and maintain 6,000'... Hog 6 we lost radar coverage we need you present position direct LIPTE hold as publishe maintain 6,000, call established in the hold and when leaving 6,000 you're cleared the ILS rwy 11L, contact tower at 10.2 miles" - Enjoy : )


Good takeaway's aka JB's nuggs - great nuggets!
1.) If you get a siezed right engine after take off (shittiest case) you need to put a boot full of left rudder in there to keep coordinated while doing the BF or you will bleed your a/s with all the drag

2.) If you do the APU fire BF and discharge the other bottle and the light is still one, confirm with FL that you're on fire and then be familiar with checklist (warning W1)... it says if it burns outta control ejection may be the best option. He offered no techniques for what is burning out of control that other than that's we get paid the big bucks. I think we'll know if its outta control

3.) Always be prepared to fly entire appches even if you are on vectors to final...

4.) On a dual engine flame out, know what to do if the left engine does NOT start without refing the checklist. He expalined it to me as an upside down U, if you have questions give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment